Monday, July 27, 2015

Sharp Objects Review

It's been forever since I've posted a book review for you all, and for that I am incredibly sorry! It seems I'm always starting off my posts like this. I really need to change that! July has been a wonderful, crazy, fantastic month for me. I finally got to fulfill one of my dreams and see Taylor Swift live in concert on her 1989 World Tour and it will forever be the highlight of my young life. It was a beautiful show, beautiful crowd and all around truly magical experience! Girl knows how to put on a damn good show! Okay, I'm done fangirling!
But, seriously if you get the chance go to one of her shows you'll have a fantastic time! 

Now, let's get down to business! Last month I read my very first Gillian Flynn novel and it left me with a serious book hangover. I haven't been able to shake Dark Places from my mind! The Day family will forever hold a special place in my heart, except for Ben. I'm not even going to start talking about Ben because we will be here until Christmas talking about how much I hate that little shit! Ugh. Okay then, moving on! 

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Amazon  | Barnes & Noble | Books A Million

WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart 
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg 
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

HARMFUL on her wrist, WHORE on her ankle 
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming.

With its taut, crafted writing, Sharp Objects is addictive, haunting, and unforgettable.

My Thoughts
Rating: 3-4 Stars

On Saturday I went with my parents to visit my brother in another state and brought Sharp Objects along as my road trip read and I was not disappointed. I finished this in one day, reading on the way there and on the way home, total of six to seven hours I’ll say. Gillian Flynn is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. Her stories are so twisted and dark and unexpected that I can't put her books down and Sharp Object's was no exception.

Camille Preaker, the story's main protagonist is a thirty something journalist from Chicago with a haunting troubling past of her own. Like most journalist's Camille had to go where the story
took her, in this case all the way back to her home town of Wind Gap, Missouri. Estranged from her mother and stepfather and thirteen year old half sister, Camille is forced to get to know everyone once again during her hellish homecoming all the while trying to hide her own demons and get to the bottom of one of Wind Gap's biggest mysterious.

Gillian Flynn's novels are well crafted thought out master pieces in my humble opinion. Her novels center around females who have all the disturbing issues. It really stops and makes you realize that women are just as capable of becoming monsters and commit acts of crime just as easily as a man could. Sharp Objects is a must read for anyone who loves a good psychological thriller that keeps you guessing until the very last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment