Wednesday, May 13, 2015

And Their Doom Comes Swiftly

Wow! It's been almost a month and a half since I posted anything on here. It's been a crazy few weeks. As I mentioned in my previous post I would be graduating from college. Well, I graduated! Yay me! It's hard to believe I'm a college graduate? Like, what? College for me, wasn't exactly the experience I had hoped it would be, but I am forever glad that I went and completed my degree.
Since it is graduation season I wish everyone the best in their futures and hope you have a wonderful summer!

I've been sick for the past two weeks, terrible sore throat and headache with the fever and chills. Not fun for me at all. But, it did give me a little bit of free time to finally read some! I started Ten by Gretchen McNeil and after about a week of on and off reading I finished it up! Check out the synopsis below:

 Ten By Gretchen McNeil
Amazon  | Barnes & Noble | Books A Million

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie are looking forward to two days of boys, booze, and fun-filled luxury. But what starts out as fun turns twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine. And things only get worse from there.

With a storm raging outside, the teens are cut off from the outside world . . . so when a mysterious killer begins picking them off one by one, there’s no escape. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on one another, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

 My Thoughts: **(half star)

The cover art and write up for this book immediately intrigued me. It made me think of the movie I Know What You Did Last Summer. Masked killer runs around killing off unrealistic teenagers? I mean who wouldn't be intrigued by that.


This is the first book that I have ever read by author Gretchen McNeil and it left me with mixed feelings. The main character Meg was likeable enough, a sweet, shy, sarcastic high school senior. Her best friend Minnie was a hot mess, unpredictable, bossy, and clingy. Personally, I had a hard time keeping the two different girls names straight, Meg and Minnie. I felt like the characters weren't really all that developed. There wasn't really enough information about each character to really grow attached to anyone and root for them so to speak. So, when someone died it was kind of like eh there goes another one. There was no emotional attachment for me, which I like when I read a book as I am sure you do as well.  Except, maybe Meg. It felt like the characters were just thrown into the plot of this story without a whole lot of thought put into it.

Meg and T.J. Fletcher the leading man in this story have a sketchy past. Meg was head over heels for T.J. to the point where she had fallen in love with him. He asked her to prom and as excited as Meg was to go to prom with him, she turned him down because her long time best friend Minnie liked him A LOT. Meg put Minnie's feelings above her own throughout the entire book, which is selfless and all, but there comes a point when you have to put yourself first and do what you need to do for you, right? So as you can guess jealousy and rivalry came out in Minnie when T.J. started paying more attention to his crush Meg...

Overall, this wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't the best book either. So, in my personal opinion I rate this book with two and half stars. It's only 320 pages so it would make for a light quick beach read. Just because this book didn't really hit me doesn't mean that I won't give some of Gretchen's other titles a try in the near future.

I hope you enjoyed reading this review! I promise my reviews will get better and more in depth in the future, or at least I hope they will! If you have any titles you'd like for me to read and review let me know in the comments below. You can follow my bookstagram over on Instagram @girlathome23 :)


Coming Soon: The Heiresses Review  

No comments:

Post a Comment