Saturday, May 30, 2015

The Blessed and The Cursed

Hello fellow book lovers! The month of May kept me quite busy! Sadly, I only had time to read one book. (Cries in a corner). I know, it's terrible. I've vowed to do better in June though. So, wish me luck! While I didn't get to read much this month, it sure didn't stop me from buying more books. I'm slowly but surely filling up my new book shelf. At my credit cards expense of course!

One thing I did take the time to do this month, was create a tumblr account or a booklr account as some would call it. Basically, everything I post on here will be posted on there as well. You can check that out here: www.girlathome2332.tumblr.com I'm not sure which website I like best, blogspot or tumblr. For now, I'll be running both!

I've decided to do a monthly wrap up post, so I will introduce you guys to all the new books I've gotten in my next post. So, let's dig into the intriguing world of Sara Shepard's The Heiresses!

The Heiresses by Sara Shepard
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Books A Million
You know the Saybrooks. Everyone does. Perhaps you’ve read a profile of them in People or have seen their pictures in the society pages of Vogue. Perhaps while walking along that choice block on Fifth Avenue, you’ve been tempted to enter the ornate limestone building with their family name etched into the pediment above the door.

The only thing more flawless than a Saybrook’s diamond solitaire is the family behind the jewelry empire. Beauties, entrepreneurs, debutantes, and style mavens, they are the epitome of New York City’s high society. But being a Saybrook comes at a price—they are heirs not only to a dizzying fortune but also to a decades-old family curse.

Tragedy strikes the prominent family yet again when thirty-four-year-old Poppy, the most exquisite Saybrook of them all, flings herself from the window of her TriBeCa office. Everyone is shocked that a woman who had it all would end her own life. Then her cousins receive an ominous threat: one heiress down, four to go.

Was it suicide... or murder? In the aftermath of the tragedy, the remaining heiresses—Corinne, the perfectionist; Rowan, the workaholic; Aster, the hedonist; and Natasha, the enigma—wrestle with feelings of sadness, guilt, and, most of all, fear. Now they must uncover the truth about their family before they lose the only thing money can’t buy: their lives.


My Thoughts: ****

The Heiresses center's around the prominent Saybrook family. A family full of secrets, who's Danielle's father?; Regrets, how did Corrine get that scar?; Lies, cheating husbands; and a deadly curse. For years the Saybrooks have been haunted by death. Someone in their family has died or had a tragic 'accident.'  But, were they really accidents? No, they weren't. 

Being a fan of Sara Shepard's other novel series, Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game I had to give this little gem a shot and it did not disappoint. I'll admit it took me about 70 pages to really get into the world and get to know the characters. I know a lot people have reviewed this book and stopped after the 70 page mark, because they just couldn't relate to the rich characters, and their lifestyle, but if you keep going I promise it gets pretty exciting.

I gave this book four stars, because once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. Stories about the rich and the famous have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. This book is perfect for fans of Gossip Girl (I miss Chuck Bass), or anyone who want's a up close look into the world of the elite. It's not meant to be a Pulitzer prize winning novel, but it's not something I would toss into the bargain bin at Big Lot's either. It's a light fun read, that will definitely keep you guessing until the very end. Speaking of the ending, I found it to be quite a cliffhanger! Oh, how I love to hate those!

I felt the characters in this novel could have been developed a bit more, which I'm sure will happen in the upcoming novels in this series. Sara Shepard tweeted that there will be 18 books to this series (Yay!), and yes I will buy them all just to learn more about these characters and their stories! 

Have you read The Heiresses? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to follow me over on Instagram: @girlathome23 and on Twitter: @girlathome23 :)

Coming Soon: Paper Towns Review
 

No comments:

Post a Comment